Aloo matar is a popular droolworthy spicy Punjabi dish made with potatoes and peas. It is generally served with rotis, naans or parathas and it tastes so divine that you will keep asking for moreeee.. It tastes good even with vegetable pulao, ghee rice and even rice and dal. The consistency of the gravy will depend on whether it goes with roti or rice and dal. If you are going to serve it with rotis/parathas or pooris, the texture of the gravy has to be thick. If it is with rice, then a thinner texture will taste better.
- Potato - 4-5 medium sized
- Peas - 1 cup ( fresh or frozen)
- Onion - 1 cup chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Tomato - 1 big sized
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder -1 tsp
- Amchur powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
- Salt - As needed
- Oil -1 tbsp
How To Prepare Aloo Matar/Mattar:
- Dice onion into squares and keep aside. Grind ginger to a fine paste.
- Wash and peel potatoes and cut them into cubes. Cut the tomatoes into fine pieces.
- Mix the ginger paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder with a little water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the onions and fry till they are light brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till mushy. Add the potatoes and mix well and fry them for some time till they turn light brown.
- Add ginger paste and spices soaked in water and mix well and stir for a few minutes till it gives a good smell.
- Add the peas, salt and enough water to cover the veggies and let them cook for some time in medium heat till it all blends well and the veggies are cooked and the gravy thickens a little. Add garam masala and mix well 5 minutes before removing from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm with roti, parathas or pooris.
Also refer other side dishes for roti/chapati