Coconut Chutney/ Kobbari Pachadi - There are 2 types of chutneys made with coconut - one for idli/dosa and another for rice. The recipe I am giving here is the one to be taken with rice.
Of all the veggie pachadis that are taken with rice, this one is the simplest of all and hardly takes a few minutes to prepare. It is a bit hot, a wee bit sweet and a little tangy too and tastes divine with hot rice and ghee.
- Coconut pieces - 1 cup (fresh coconut)
- Green chillies - 4-5
- Tamarind - a small marble sized
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Dhaniya/coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - A few
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 3-4 crushed pods
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 1 tsp
How To Prepare Kobbari Pachadi:
- Grind together coconut pieces, green chillies, tamarind, turmeric, dhaniya powder, salt and a little water to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add garlic pods and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds till the garlic turns a wee bit brown.
- Switch off and pour this over the pachadi.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.
- Red chillies can be used instead of green chillies, but fry the red chillies first in a kadai with a little bit of oil and then add to the grind.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for maximum of 2-3 days.