Tomato Rice is one of the best flavorful rice dishes. This popular spicy and tangy dish is of South Indian origin. It is mainly a comfort food and can be prepared in a jiffy when one feels lazy to make a full course meal. Serve with papad or any raitha.
Rice - 1 cup
Ripe tomatoes - 4
Onion - 2 medium size
Green chillies - 3
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Salt - As required
Oil - 1 tbsp
How To Prepare Tomato Rice:
- Cook rice and allow it cool in a wide basin.
- Cut tomatoes into fine pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard. Once they start spluttering, add curry leaves and channa dal.
- When the dal turns golden brown, add onions and green chillies and saute till the onions become translucent.
- Add ginger paste and saute for a few more minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and turmeric, mix well and let it cook on medium flame for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chilli powder and salt and mix well and let it cook till the tomatoes turn mushy and oil separates.
- Switch off and add this tomato mixture to the cooked rice and mix well.
- Tomato rice is ready to serve with papad or any raitha.