Aloo/potato - there are so many dishes you can make with this veggie, particularly side dishes. It is winter here now and one of my favorite greens, Methi, is available in plenty. So decided to make Aloo-Methi, a classic side dish that goes really well with rotis.
I have used boiled aloo here as it gives a good texture to the sabzi and also reduces cooking time.
- Potato - 2 medium sized
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Methi/Fenugreek leaves - 1 cup packed
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - As needed
- Oil - 3-4 tsp
How To Prepare Aloo Methi:
- Clean the methi leaves and add a bit of salt and sugar to them and a cup of water and keep them aside for a few minutes.
- Wash the potatoes and pressure cook them till 1 whistle. Once they cool down, peel them and cut them carefully into cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add jeera. Once they start crackling, add onion and fry them till they turn light brown.
- Add methi leaves and saute for a few minutes till they reduce in volume.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and potato cubes and mix well, close with a lid and cook in a low flame.
- Keep stirring in between so that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Fry till potato turns light brown, check if the methi leaves are cooked and remove from fire.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.