In Bengali, paanch means five and phoron means spice. Panch Phoron - also known as panch puran, panchphoran is a spice blend that consists of 5 spices in equal quantity. It is generally used in Bengali, Assamese and Oriya cuisine.
It is mainly used for tempering and used as a whole and never ground or used as powder.
Panch Phoron has the following spices:
Nigella seeds (kalonji/kalo jeera or onion seeds)
Cumin seeds (jeera)
Mustard seeds (rai or shorshe)
Fennel seeds (saunf or mouri)
- Potatoes - 4 medium
- Panch Phoron - 1 tsp
- Red chillies - 2
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
How To Prepare Panch Phoron Aloo:
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the panch phoron. When it starts to splutter and change color, it gives out a good aroma. Add the red chillies, potatoes, turmeric and mix well and fry till the potatoes start turning brown around the edges.
- Add red chilli powder and salt, mix well and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add about 1-2 cups of water, keep the flame low and let the potatoes cook for about 7-8 minutes or till the potatoes are cooked.
- Tastes yumm with parathas or puris.