Chorchori or charchari is a typical bengali dish prepared with 4 or 5 veggies. It is not very spicy and the flavors of the different veggies in it is absolutely lovely. I particularly love the chorchori with pui or palak saag in it. It is a great way to add greens in your diet.
Pui saag is also called Basella or Malabar Spinach. Pui Saag er chorchori can be cooked with fish also, but here am sharing with you all the vegetarian version.
Pui Saag - 500 gm
Pumpkin - 200 gm
Potato - 3 medium sized
Green Chillies - 3-4
Red Chilli - 1
Kala Jeera - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Salt - As required
Oil - 1 tbl spn
How To Prepare Pui Saag er Chorchori or Basella Curry:
- Cut the potato lengthwise and pumpkin into cubes. Then cut and clean the saag. Cut the leaves and also the daata or stems into 1-inch long pieces. Slit the stems in between and wash these, boil them and keep aside.
- Heat oil in kadai and add kala jeera and red chilli.
- Once they start crackling, add all the vegetables and green chillies and fry them until they start turning light brown around the edges.
- Now add the leaves and mix them all together and cover with a lid for 5 min.
- Add turmeric, sugar, salt, the boiled stems and a little bit of water. Don't add too much water as this is a dry curry.
- Fry them till the vegetables are all cooked and the water dries up. Remove from fire.
- This is generally served with dal and rice. Can be had with rotis too.