Idlis, dosas and uthappams are part of regular breakfast items in any South Indian home. Onion chutney, coconut chutney, peanut chutney, tomato chutney, Tomato-onion-coriander chutney are the common accompaniments that go with these breakfast dishes.
Am presenting here the recipe for Tomato chutney that I usually prepare. This chutney is spicy, tangy and mildly sweet. The chillies can be adjusted according to taste.
- Ripe Tomatoes - 3 medium sized
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Red chillies - 3-4
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 1-1/2 tbsp
How To Prepare Tomato Chutney For Dosa/Idli:
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a kadai and saute tomatoes (do not chop them). When they become fried on all sides, remove onto a plate.
- In the same kadai, add 1 tsp of oil and saute red chillies for about a min and remove them. Then add onions and saute for a few minutes till they turn light brown and remove from fire.
- Once all the above fried items (tomatoes, onions, red chillies) cool down, add a little salt and grind them to a coarse/smooth paste according to your choice. I have made a coarse paste here. Do NOT add water.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. Once they start spluttering, add curry leaves and the ground paste and mix well and let it cook for about 3-4 mins and remove from fire.
- Serve hot with idli, dosa, vada or uthappam.