Dosa/Dosai, a staple breakfast in South India, is a thin, crispy crepe made rice and lentils. There are different variations of dosa depending on the fillings or other ingredients used -- Paneer dosa, palak dosa, methi dosa, Masala dosa, Pesarattu, onion dosa, uttappam, rava dosa, etc. It is generally served with:
I am giving here the recipe for preparing the basic dosa.
Prep Time: 30 mins, soaking time 6 hrs
Cook time: 10 mins
- Parboiled rice/Idly rice - 3 cups
- Whole urad dal (without skin) - 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt - 4 tsp (or as required)
How To Prepare the Batter:
- Method of preparing this batter is the same as that of idli batter - refer the recipe ( how to make idlis).
- The only difference is -- soak fenugreek seeds along with the urad dal. Rest of the grinding & fermenting process is the same.
How To Make Dosa:
- Heat a non-stick tawa and grease it with oil. (If you are using a cast iron tawa, cut an onion into half and rub it all over the tawa -- The dosa will not stick to the tawa).
- Take a ladle of batter, pour it in the centre and spread it around in a circular motion using the back of the ladle.
- Add 1 tsp of oil around and on the dosa .
- When one side of the dosa is cooked, flip it over to the other side and cook till done.
- Fold it in half and remove onto a plate.
- Serve with sambar, any chutney of your choice (coconut chutney or tomato chutney or onion chutney) or milagai podi.