Matar Paneer/Mutter paneer - an irresistible creamy curry prepared with paneer/Indian cottage cheese and peas. The malai and cashews lend a beautiful creamy texture to the gravy. It is a fantastic, mouthwatering side dish that goes very well with rotis, parathas, naan and any pulao.
Try this extremely popular Punjabi dish and am sure it will become your favorite too.
- Paneer/cottage cheese - 250 gm, cube them
- Peas - 1 cup
- Fresh cream/malai - 1 tbsp (cream from top of milk/paal aadai)
- Turmeric/haldi - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander/dhaniya powder - 3/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Tomato - 1 big, ripe
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Garlic - 3
- Cashews - 6
How To Prepare Matar Paneer:
- Grind all the ingredients under "To Grind" section to a fine paste and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai and saute the paneer cubes till they turn light brown.
- Heat oil in the same kadai and add cumin seeds. Once they start spluttering, add the masala paste and fry for a few minutes on medium flame till the oil separates and you get a good aroma.
- Add turmeric, dhaniya, red chilli powders and mix well.
- Then add peas and salt and mix well and add about 2-1/2 cups of water and let it cook on medium flame till the peas become soft.
- Add malai, kasuri methi, garam masala powder and paneer cubes, mix well and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes and remove from fire.
- Serve hot with rotis, parathas, rice or any pulao.