Not many people like brinjals, but then they have no idea of the most beautiful, yummy dishes that they are missing out on. You can make a variety of dishes with brinjals - simple stir fry, stuffed brinjals (gutti vankaya kura) or a one-pot meal like vangi bhath, etc.
Try out this recipe and am sure this will become a regular item in your kitchen.
- Brinjal - 2 cups chopped into cubes
- Tomato - 1 finely chopped
- Onion - 1 finely cut
- Green Chillies- 6
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind - size of a small lemon
- Channa dal - 1 tsp
- Red Chillies - 2
- Garlic - 3 cloves.
- Curry leaves - few
- Salt - As required
- Oil - 1 tbl spn
How To Prepare Vankaya Pulla kura:
- Add brinjal, tomato, onion, green chillies, tamarind, turmeric and salt in a pressure cooker along with 1 cup of water and cook till 2 whistles. Remove the lid and mash the contents coarsely.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. Once they start crackling, add channa dal, red chillies, garlic and curry leaves and fry all till the dal and garlic turn light brown.
- Add the coarsely mashed brinjal and mix everything well and let it cook on low flame for a few minutes and switch off.
- Now you have the perfect accompaniment that tastes divine with roti/chapati or plain hot rice.