Vermicelli kheer or Semiya payasam (pudding) is a classic Indian dessert prepared with roasted vermicelli, milk and nuts and flavored with cardamom. It is normally prepared on festive occasions or birthdays or when there are guests at home.
Vermicelli kheer can be made with both fresh and condensed milk. This creamy and delicious dessert is very easy to prepare and does not take much time.
- Semiya(Vermicelli) - 100 gm
- Milk - 1 litre
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Cashews - 10
- Raisins - 10-12
- Cardamom - 3-4 (powdered)
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
How To Prepare Semiya Payasam:
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a kadai and roast the vermicelli until it turns light golden brown, set aside.
- In the same kadai, add the remaining ghee and fry the cashews and raisins separately and keep aside.
- Boil milk in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the roasted vermicelli to it and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add sugar to it and stir continuously until it dissolves.
- Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. Add the cashews, raisins and cardamom powder and switch off.
- Vermicelli kheer is ready to serve.
- Once it cools down the kheer will become thick. Add milk and adjust the consistency before serving. Can be served hot or cold depending on individual choice.